Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), Fajr Hall, Wednesday 9th March 2016, 14:00 – 17:00 PM
Lecturer: René Estermann, CEO myclimate
myclimate was spun off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich in 2002 as a nonprofit climate protection organization based in Switzerland to enable climate protection with economic mechanisms such as price-tagging carbon dioxide and integrating the externality into the market. They promote climate protection on three levels: avoidance techniques such as capacity building and teaching, reduction (which includes energy efficiency, renewable energy and management methods) and carbon offsetting. myclimate advocates for the development of a carbon market while setting new standards in carbon emissions and in designing a sustainable society.
Outline of Workshop
1) Introduction myclimate, the global context (COP21 and new global goals, peak oil, falling oil prices, carbon bubble and divestment), the political framework in Switzerland (commitments at COP21 and UNFCCC, climate and energy strategy, targets and implementation)
2) Short overview: The political framework in Iran (climate and energy strategy and targets, Iran’s commitments at COP21 and UNFCCC)
3) Discussion with the audience: Comparing strategic and implementation approaches, risks and opportunities for different strategies in Iran
4) Cases and solutions: Examples for sector and company practices in Switzerland, global success stories from myclimate projects
5) Interactive session triggering a discussion about specific activities and cases in Iran, identifying low hanging fruits and project/entrepreneurial opportunities in Iran. Outcome: Can we formulate what needs to be done by whom, specific steps towards realizing them?
This workshop was held.