University and student are the main assets and axes of scientific, cultural and social development of the country and the student dormitory as the second home of the student is of special importance in promoting spiritual vitality, maintaining mental and physical peace, developing thought, character development and increasing the educational quality of students.
For the first time in Iran, design and implementation of safety and health management system under OHSAS18001: 2007 standard in dormitories of Amirkabir University of Technology in order to prevent accidents and protect students’ lives and property, facilitate and improve life in dormitories, develop and implement regulations guiding and transparent criteria were performed with the aim of observing individual and collective rights, strengthening the spirit of responsibility and self-confidence by using students’ opinions, providing health, health and safety.
OHSAS 18001: 2007 has been developed to respond to the urgent need of organizations for a standard of occupational health and safety management system by which they can evaluate and emphasize their management system. This standard is divided into two parts, the first part includes specifications Based on which a certificate is obtained and the second part which is a guide to implement an occupational health and safety management system.
The issues that were considered with the implementation of the dormitory standardization plan and the establishment of a safety and health management system are:
- Increasing the safety factor of dormitories
- Accident prevention
- Identify and evaluate safety and health risks and provide solutions
- Control of physical, chemical and biological harmful factors
- Measurement of ergonomic factors and reduction of stressors
- Noise measurement and control
- Lighting measurement and control
- Measurement of cold, heat and humidity
- Develop and implement emergency response plans (fire, earthquake, etc.) to prepare students for disasters, natural disasters, etc.
- Compilation and implementation of periodic safety and health audits in dormitories
- Periodic evaluation of the compliance of safety and health in dormitories with international standards
- Holding training courses in the field of safety and health and raising the level of information and awareness of students
- Promoting the reputation of the university in public and internationally
- Providing healthy and effective competition between universities and improving the level of safety and health in dormitories
Benefits of obtaining a safety and health management system certification
- Develop a planned and documented approach to health and safety.
- A clear safety management structure is created that defines the scope of responsibilities
- Awareness and knowledge about health and safety increases.
- A safer and healthier living environment is created for students.
- The risk of accidents and diseases is reduced.
- Time lost due to illness and injuries to students is reduced
- Costs to pay damages and possible fines will be reduced.
Implementation steps of safety and health management system based on OHSAS 18001: 2007 standard in Amirkabir University of Technology
Assessing the health-safety status: One of the best possible ways to assess the current situation in an organization is its compliance with one of the world standard models. In this regard, in checking the health-safety status of the dormitories, checklists in accordance with the requirements of OHSAS 18001: 2007, which can cover the relevant purposes, have been used.
System design: When designing a safety and health management system, relevant documentation is done. These documents are in the form of executive procedures, work instructions, regulations, safety and health policy.
Establishment of the system: After the documentation and implementation of the safety and health management system in the dormitories, according to the design, was done. At this stage, the records of the implementation of the system for preparing and measuring harmful pollutants in the dormitory environment were done. Internal audit of the safety and health management system was performed for self-assessment at this stage, and after eliminating the non-compliance of the internal audit, the preparations for certification were provided.
Obtaining certification: At this stage, reputable international certification companies were invited to issue certificates, and after the final audit stage by the certification company, the certification stage was performed and the dormitories of Amirkabir University of Technology in March 2008 succeeded in receiving International certificate OHSAS 18001: 2007.