“Sustainability” is one of the world’s most talked about during last 2 decades. Construction industry, because of its significant contribution in economic growth on the one hand and inadequate attention to its’ environmental impacts on the other hand, has had destructive effects on environment. Beside these, in the world of construction, buildings have the capacity to make a major contribution to a more sustainable future for our planet. Some recent investigations estimate that buildings in developed countries account for more than 40 percent of energy consumption over their lifetime (incorporating raw material production, construction, operation, maintenance and decommissioning). Moreover, for the first time in human history, over half of the world’s population now lives in urban environments and it’s clear that sustainable buildings have become vital cornerstones for securing long-term environmental, economic and social viability.
Consequently, sustainable design and construction aims to meet present day needs for housing, working environments and infrastructure without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs in times to come. It incorporates elements of economic efficiency, environmental performance and social responsibility – and contributes to the greatest extent when architectural quality, technical innovation and transferability are included.
Considering importance of these matters, Green Building Council was established under Sustainable Committee on with duty of implementing green building criteria in any new construction at Amirkabir University of technology. Furthermore, based on these concepts, sustainable construction group have focused on a set of target issues:
1.Dissemination of knowledge in related academic, technical and social contexts.
2.Developing national environmental rating system for Green buildings.
3.Providing consulting services in new construction projects.
Our brief resume:
– Holding the 1st national conference on sustainable construction, Amirkabir University of Technology, March 2013
– Nikravan, M., Azizi, A., “Sustainable construction and introduction of LEED”, 9th international congress on civil engineering, Isfahan university of technology, 2012
– Nikravan, M., Azizi, A., “Sustainable construction and introduction of LEED”, 1st national conference on sustainable construction, Amirkabir University of Technology, 2013
– Nikravan, M., “Sustainable construction and introduction of LEED”, 1st national conference on sustainable buildings, Mashhad, 2013
– Nikravan, M., “Sustainable construction and introduction of LEED”, 1st national congress on construction engineering and projects assessment, Gorgan, 2014
– Nikravan, M., Azizi, A., under supervision of Dr. Reza Maknoon, “LEED for environmental rating system of construction (proposed guideline)”, Translated in to Persian, Amirkabir University of Technology Press, 139 Page, Winter 2012
– Rashidi, A., “A BIM-Based Framework for Implementation of LEED credits in Iran”, M.Sc. Thesis, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, 2014
– Gharazi, T., Developing a national framework for LEED implementation in Iran, M.Sc. Thesis, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, 2014
– Kardgar, M., “Investigation of sustainable materials role in construction industry”, 1st national congress on construction engineering and process assessment, Iran, Golestan, Gorgan, 2014
– Rashidi, A., “Applying Building Information Model (BIM) for Building Sustainable Design”, 18th national conference of Iranian Society of Environmentalists, March 2014
– Raeisi, Z., Heidari, Sh., Nikravan, M., “An investigation of widespread building rating systems according to criteria for sustainability and compare to national building codes”, Journal of Vernacular Architecture and City, 2014
– Nikravan, M., “Green University and Sustainable Development”, term research, advised by Prof. Maknoon, Amirkabir University of Technology, 2009-2010
– Nikravan, M., “Life cycle assessment (LCA) of building materials”, term research, advised by Prof. Maknoon, Amirkabir University of Technology, 2009-2010.